Mr. Quarshie is a Chartered Accountant and specialist in Financial Management and Project
Accounting. He is a member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA),
UK and Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICA), Ghana. He is also a fellow of the Institute
of Professional Financial Managers (FIPFM).
His areas of expertise are Financial Accounting, Auditing and Financial Management, Project Accounting, Accounting System Design and Implementation, Computerization of Accounting Systems, Internal Auditing and Control Procedures and Payroll Systems.
Cushay & Associates
(January 2006 - Current)
- Auditing and advisory services.
- Financial Management training.
- Management consulting.
Financial Management Specialist
Project Support Unit (COTVET)
(March 2012 - 30 November 2013)
- Prepare withdrawal applications using Client Connection with its corresponding Statement of Expenses and reconciliation of the Designated Account, to the World Bank.
- Maintain and update the emolument report on a monthly basis.
- Post all accounting transactions for the project through its automated information management system in a transparent and timely manner.
- Keep the Project Coordinator informed of key aspects of the financial information, and any deficiency in the internal control environment.
- Comply with financial management aspects of the project required by the World Bank.
- Assist the Project Coordinator in the projection for the Annual Operating Plan.
- Adhere to financial management arrangements as defined in the Project Operations Manual, including unaudited interim financial reports.
- Work along with the Procurement Unit to receive contract documents and review payment clauses in contracts.
- Liaise with the external auditors for the audit of the Project accounts.
- Perform any other duties required for the effective functioning of the organization.
Special Assistant to the Director General (Fin/Audit/Regional Operations)
Ghana Broadcasting Corporation
(2008 - February 2012)
- Responsible for the internal audit function of the corporation.
- Develop, plan and perform audits for GBC.s country-wide operations.
- Execute and oversee all aspects of the audit plan within the Corporation.
- Develop thought leadership and share lead practices on internal controls and internal audit functions.
- Manage and develop assigned staff through effective and timely supervision, training, performance management and appraisal.
- Advise management on the efficient, effective and economic application of resources.
- Evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management.
- Plan and conduct the internal audit visit to all the regional offices in Ghana.
Chief Finance Officer
Western Telecommunication Systems Limited
(June – August 2007)
- Responsible for all accounting and finance matters.
- Reported on company performance.
- Supervised the accounting and finance staff.
- Oversee the budget process and monitor the company performance with budget.
- Ensured compliance with the Company financial rules and regulations.
- Responsible for the preparation of financial reports.
- Assist in completion of annual audit of accounts.
Lecturer / Consultant
Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration
(January 2003 - 31 December 2006)
Taught accounting and finance under the following programmes:
- Masters in Development Management.
- Postgraduate diploma in business accounting.
- Postgraduate certificate in business administration.
- Diploma in tax administration.
- Chief executive programme.
- Human resources programme.
- Corporate Governance (Financial Management & Internal Control).
- Project Planning.
- Budgeting and Financial Management.
- Accounting for Non-Accounting.
- Understanding Company Reports.
- Design workshop materials for CWSA (Financial training).
- Ghana Aids Commission (consultancy).
Technical Services Centre
Designed the accounting system to record the financial operation of the centre. Responsible for the preparation of budget for the annual subvention. I maintained the accounting books and was also responsible for the stores.
Accra District Rehabilitation Project
(World Bank Sponsored)
This was initially $22.5 million project which was increased to $128 million under the Priority Works Project. This project was undertaken by the Ministry of Works & Housing and implemented by the Technical Services Centre (TSC). Responsible for:
- Maintenance of the project accounts.
- Reviewed all invoices.
- Disbursement of project funds.
- Updated all quarterly reports and prepared project reports to the World Bank.
- Supported auditors in the audit of project accounts.
- Supervised and trained the staff in the accounts office.
Consultant – Hospital Rehabilitation Project (Ministry of Health)
(Sponsored by the African Development Bank)
Nominated by the Ministry of Works and Housing to assist in the design and implementation
of an accounting system to suit a project unit at the Ministry of Health.
Designed the manual system and created the necessary books to facilitate the recording of accounting transactions.
Abbeynest Limited (London)
(1997 – 2002)
- Responsible for setting up manual accounting system for the company. Computerise the accounting system using Sage Line 50.
- Set up the payroll system and tax deductions using Sage Payroll.
- Responsible for the preparation of year-end financial statement and management account.
- Prepare VAT reports and other control accounts.
- Train and supervise the accounting staff.
- Prepare Strategic Business Plan.
- Support the Managing Director.
Rocky Mountain Traders (London)
(April 1997 – Dec 1997)
My responsibilities included the following:
- The preparation of the year-end accounts and annual budget.
- Preparation of the profit projections and cashflow forecast.
- Preparation of VAT returns.
- Supervision of office staff in the day to day activities.
- Support management with the appropriate management information.